We provided mechanical and plumbing solutions for our customer’s 417-room hotel. The project was located in a busy downtown environment, and we were able to complete work with minimal disruptions to local businesses.
Hard Rock Hotels needed to install a complete high-end mechanical and plumbing infrastructure in its 12-story, 417-room landmark hotel. Thanks to its extensive expertise, University Mechanical & Engineering Contractors (UMEC-CA) was selected as the design-build mechanical and plumbing contractor for this cutting-edge property in downtown San Diego.
For this project we:
- Employed advanced building information modeling (BIM) system to create three-dimensional computer models of the project
- Used models throughout the design and construction stages to evaluate design options, identify and resolve technical issues early, coordinate scheduling, exploit prefabrication opportunities, eliminate rework, and optimize safety
- Equipped each of the 417 guest rooms with four-pipe vertical fan coil units
- Variable air volume air handlers to serve the hotel’s 9,000-square-foot ballroom and 9,000 square feet of meeting space
- 11 air handlers
- 31 exhaust fans
- Gas-fired boilers for domestic hot water
- Two 300-ton chillers
- Two 3,000-BTU-per-hour boilers
- 15 associated primary and secondary pumps
- An innovative single-stack drainage system for the guestrooms
- Conventional waste and vent plumbing for the kitchen and back-of-house areas
Hard Rock Hotel San Diego is located in the historic Gaslamp Quarter.